Renovations or Alterations to Your Premises
A licence holder with a valid Liquor Sales Licence may apply to the Registrar to increase the capacity of an existing area, alter the licensed area(s) (e.g. expanding a room), relocating an area, or adding a patio and/or additional areas.
Any changes in capacity will also require an application.
You can make the following changes to licensed premises without approval from the Registrar:
- Changes to décor
- Installation or relocation of doors
- Installation of windows
Temporary Extension of Premises
Important Update for 2021: In an effort to support businesses as they work to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, the AGCO is authorizing eligible “By the Glass” licensees to temporarily extend or add a temporary physical extension of their licensed premises, until January 1, 2022 at 3:00 a.m.
Eligible “By the Glass” licensees do not need to submit an application to extend their licensed premises for the duration of 2021, provided they meet certain requirements.
To be eligible for a temporary patio extension under the AGCO’s 2021 patio policy you must have a valid “By the Glass” licence, be permitted to open for on-site consumption and must meet the criteria as set out below:
- The physical extension of the premises is adjacent to:
- the premises to which the licence to sell liquor applies; or
- a dock to which the boat is attached and may include land adjacent to the dock; or
- the licensed premises under the “By the Glass” licence;
- The municipality in which the premises is situated has indicated it does not object to an extension;
- The licensee is able to demonstrate sufficient control over the physical extension of the premises;
- There is no condition on the licence prohibiting a patio;
- The capacity of any temporary extension, allows for at least 1.11 square metres per person; and
- In the case of “By the Glass” licensees, the sale and service of the wine, beer and/or spirits manufactured by the manufacturer within the physical extension of the premises is primarily aimed at promoting the manufacturer’s product and either providing an enhanced tourist experience or fulfilling an educational purpose.
If you do not meet the above 2021 criteria and still wish to apply for a temporary extension, please see below for more information on how to apply.
A temporary extension allows a Liquor Sales Licence holder to extend the licensed area indoors or outdoors for events with the Registrar’s approval. In the case of a boat, licensees may apply to the AGCO for a temporary physical extension to their docked boat, subject to certain requirements.
A temporary extension permits a licensee to sell and serve food and alcohol in the expanded area for a period approved by the Registrar.
An application must be submitted for approval 30 days in advance.
The extension must be adjacent to existing licensed areas or in the case of a boat, adjacent to the dock to which the boat is attached or land adjacent to the dock.