All alcohol-related transactions with the AGCO can now be completed online through the iAGCO web-based portal.

New licence term options are now available when applying for and renewing licences or authorizations. Licensees are now able to select a two or four year term duration, with fees payable to match the length of the term. For a description of the new fee structure, please visit the Alcohol Licensing Fees page.

Please note that your licence renewal application will not be processed if your establishment owes money to the Ministry of Finance (retail sales tax).  It is your responsibility to contact the Ministry of Finance at 1-866-668-8297 to determine if you owe any money.  If you do, you must make arrangements to pay the outstanding amount.

It is illegal to operate the ferment on premise facility with an expired licence.

If your ferment on premise facility licence has expired, you must complete and submit a new ferment on premise facility licence application. This will result in you receiving a new licence number.


All FOP licences are issued to individuals, business partnerships or corporations. The owner – as licensed with the AGCO – is responsible for the ongoing operation of the licence.

Changes in ownership (commonly referred to as licence transfers) must be approved by the AGCO.  An application must be submitted for approval before the change is made.

The filing requirements will vary based on the type of change:

90-Day Contract

A 90-Day Contract Agreement allows a transfer applicant to operate a ferment on premise facility until a licence is issued in the new owner´s name, the 90 days are up, the licence expires, or the AGCO refuses the application, whichever comes first.

During the 90-day period, both the current ferment on premise facility licence holder and the transfer applicant are responsible for the operation of the facility.

The 90-day Contract Agreement must be submitted in triplicate to the AGCO with the new application, together with appropriate alcohol licensing fees.

Ownership Change (Transfer)

A transfer application must be submitted if:

  • You purchase a FOP facility with a licence.
  • You purchase all the shares of a corporation that holds an active licence.
  • You (or your corporation) hold a current licence and take on a new partner.
  • You (or your corporation) hold a current licence and a change in the corporate structure will result in a person or corporation gaining more than 10% of the equity shares.
  • The will of a deceased licensee has been probated and the licensed facility will be operated by the beneficiary.

Corporate Rollover

A corporate rollover application must be submitted if:

  • An individual or a partnership decides to incorporate and become a corporation. In this case the individual or the partners must be the only officers and directors of the new corporation and a corporate structure form must be completed.
  • A corporation with a sole officer, director and shareholder decides to become a sole proprietor.
  • A corporation with more than one officer, director or shareholder decides to become a partnership and the officers, directors and shareholders are the only partners.

Temporary One Year Transfer of Licence

A premise with a valid ferment on premise licence may be eligible for a one-year non-renewable transfer of the licence in order to dispose of the business in an orderly fashion, if the licensed premise is temporarily taken into possession by:

  • A trustee in bankruptcy
  • A court appointed receiver
  • A mortgagee (on the property)
  • A franchiser
  • A landlord by default of lease
  • An executor or administrator

An application for a temporary transfer must be completed by one of the eligible applicants listed above and forwarded to the AGCO along with the appropriate alcohol licensing fees.

Applicants may not operate the ferment on premises until the temporary licence has been issued by the AGCO.


Was this page useful?

Please help us improve the AGCO website by responding to this survey