The AGCO issues three classes of authorizations for the sale of beer, wine and/or cider in grocery stores:
- Beer and cider authorization: a single authorization that permits the sale of beer and cider but not other types of wine in a grocery store by the operator of the store.
- Beer and wine authorization: a single authorization that permits the sale of beer and wine in a grocery store by the operator of the store.
- Restricted beer and wine authorization: a beer and wine authorization that, for the first three years during which the operator sells wine under the authorization, has additional restrictions about the products that may be sold. After the three-year period has elapsed, the authorization becomes a beer and wine authorization.
To be eligible for an authorization, the grocery store operator must have a wholesale supply agreement with the LCBO to be able to legally purchase beer, wine or cider for sale to the public (or have successfully bid to enter into a wholesale supply agreement with the LCBO through the LCBO’s competitive allocation process).
Grocery store operators that have a wine boutique in their grocery store must also hold a separate authorization as a Wine Boutique Sales Agent.
More detailed information and requirements with respect to the application process and how to maintain your authorization once it has been issued can be found below.
All alcohol-related transactions with the AGCO can now be completed online through the iAGCO web-based portal.
New licence term options are now available when applying for and renewing authorizations. Licensees are now able to select a two or four year term duration, with fees payable to match the length of the term. For a description of the new fee structure, please visit the Alcohol Licensing Fees page.
AGCO services for Ontario’s Grocery Store Authorization holders are now be available online! For more information, please visit the iAGCO Information page.
- Guide: Authorization to sell Beer and Wine or Beer and Cider in a Grocery Store
- Advertising Guidelines: Sale of Beer, Wine and Cider in Grocery Stores
- Sampling Guidelines