A Liquor Sales Licence may be issued to allow the sale and service of alcohol to the public for on-site consumption.

Only owners of a business can apply for a Liquor Sales Licence. The business does not have to be primarily involved with the sale and service of food or liquor, but must be located in a premises open to the public or private members (such as a social club). Liquor sales licences will not be issued to residences or businesses not registered with the government if they are required to be so.

Liquor Sales Licences may also be combined with an Endorsement. Endorsements allow licence holders to sell and serve alcohol under specific circumstances (see the Endorsements section in this Guide for more information).

Required Information

In order to begin processing your application, you must submit the following:

  • Application Fee
  • Entity Disclosure*
    Entity Disclosure information must be provided by the applicant corporation and by all corporations directly or indirectly holding 10% or more of the shares of the applicant.
  • Personal Disclosure*
    Personal Disclosure information must be provided by all of the following persons:
    • Sole Proprietors
    • All Officers and/or Directors
    • All Partners
    • Any shareholder holding 10% or more of any class of shares
    • On-site manager, if applicable.

*For complete information, please refer to the Personal and Entity Disclosure Guide

  • Floor Plans of the Premises
    • Plans must be to scale, and show dimensions (length and width)
    • Proposed licensed areas must be CLEARLY OUTLINED
    • Must be printable to 8.5” by 11” paper (regular letter-size paper)
    • Floor plan must show layout of the entire premises
    • Ancillary areas (washrooms, hallways, stairwells, etc.) must be clearly outlined in a different colour
    • See Appendix A - Floor Plans Guide
  • Calculation of Capacity
  • Business Name Registration
    The business name under which you intend to operate may have to be registered under the Business Names Act. For information regarding business name registration please call toll free 1-800-361-3223 or visit www.ontario.ca/welcome-serviceontario.

Additional Documents

The following items are not required with the initial application, however, we recommend they be submitted as soon as possible to ensure your licence is issued in a timely fashion.

  • Municipal Information Form
    • Take this form to your local municipal clerk’s office to be signed and dated by the municipal clerk (or designated official). The municipality may return the form to you, or they may prefer to mail the form directly to the AGCO.
  • Agency Letters of Approval (“Compliance Letters”)
    Three Agency Letters of Approval (“compliance letters”) are required:
    • Building Department (Building Code Act, 1992)
    • Fire Protection Officer or Fire Marshal (Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997)
    • Public Health Department (Health Protection & Promotion Act).

For your convenience, the AGCO provides an Agency Letter of Approval Form for use by the officials. Some agencies may prefer to use their own letterhead. The compliance letters must indicate that your premises meets the current standards or by-laws administered by each agency. These letters must be signed and dated by the appropriate official.

If you are applying to license an outdoor area (patio), the compliance letters submitted from your local fire department and health department must specify that an outdoor area was inspected.


Under risk-based licensing, one or more conditions may be attached to a Liquor Sales Licence by the Registrar to help the licensee minimize risks identified during the assessment process. View a list of these conditions, as approved by the AGCO Board specifically for this purpose.

A licensee may apply to remove and/or add conditions on their licence if there has been a change in circumstances.

Was this page useful?

Please help us improve the AGCO website by responding to this survey