The AGCO would like to remind liquor sales licensees and manufacturers that hold a by-the-glass endorsement that the Ontario government’s new approval framework for temporary outdoor physical extensions (temporary patios) is now in effect.
As of January 1, 2023, licensees located in municipalities no longer apply to the AGCO for a temporary patio.
Licensees in Municipalities:
- Must get approval of your temporary patio from your local municipality
- Must notify the AGCO of your approval, the duration of your approval and any conditions on the approval (see Notifying the AGCO of an Approved Temporary Patio)
- Please note: The AGCO no longer accepts applications or otherwise approves temporary patios for licensees in municipalities.
Licensees on First Nations Reserves:
- Must get approval from the AGCO, unless the Band Council has chosen to manage temporary patio approvals (see Temporary Patios on First Nation Reserves)
- Must notify the AGCO of any temporary patios approved by a Band Council, the duration of your approval and any conditions on the approval
Licensees in Unorganized Areas
- Must apply online to the AGCO for approval through the iAGCO portal
- If you have been operating a temporary patio for the past two years during the COVID-19 pandemic under the Registrar’s policy, your patio will no longer be approved under the Registrar’s Policy as of January 1, 2023 3:00 a.m., when the policy expires. Starting January 1, 2023, you must get approval from the municipality, band council or AGCO (as applicable) to operate your temporary patio.
- If you get approval from the municipality or band council under the Ontario government’s new approval framework, you must notify the AGCO before selling or serving liquor on the temporary patio.
For questions about temporary patio requirements unique to a municipality or First Nations Reserve where your licensed establishment is located, contact your municipality or First Nations Band Council.
For any other questions, local AGCO Inspectors are here to help and support you with additional information and education. If you are unsure who your AGCO Inspector is, please email Compliance@agco.ca with your licensed establishment address to get connected.
AGCO Customer Service is available online via the iAGCO portal or by phone Monday to Friday from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm at 416-326-8700 or (toll free) 1-800-522-2876.