The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) would like to remind liquor licensees of Smart Serve recertification requirements that took effect July 1, 2022:
- Smart Serve certificates issued before July 1, 2018, will expire on June 30, 2023, at 11:59pm. This includes certificates issued prior to 1995 from the Server Intervention Program.
- Smart Serve certificates issued on or after July 1, 2018, will expire five years from the date of issuance (e.g., if you were certified on July 2, 2018, your certificate will expire on July 1, 2023 at 11:59 pm).
What you need to know
As a liquor licensee, it is your responsibility to:
- Ensure that the following persons hold a valid certificate demonstrating completion of Smart Serve:
- Persons involved in the sale, service, sampling or delivery of liquor or in taking orders for the sale of liquor
- Security staff whom you employ or, in the case of a stadium, uses
- Employees involved in the sale and service of liquor from motorized vending carts, as well as course marshals, for Golf Course Endorsement holders
- Make sure that persons who must hold a valid certificate are aware of Smart Serve recertification requirements.
In order to maintain a valid certificate, certificate holders must recertify before their certificate expires.
- As of July 1, 2022, all Smart Serve certificates (new and existing) include expiry dates.
Smart Serve certificate holders qualify for a discounted price of $29.95 to recertify if the training program is completed before their existing certificate expires.
As announced on November 9, 2021, the AGCO introduced a five-year term for all new and existing liquor training certifications. Certificate holders must complete the Smart Serve training program every five years.
Licensees are encouraged to keep a copy of their employees’ certification. AGCO Inspectors may ask a licensee for proof of a staff member’s certification at any time.
For More Information
- Visit the Smart Serve website for information on how to renew your Smart Serve certificate, Smart Serve My Certificate, and in-class group Smart Serve training
- Contact Smart Serve Customer Service anytime at email@example.com or call Monday-Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm at 416-695-8737 / 1-877-620-6082 (toll-free)
- Visit the AGCO website to view the Reminder to Liquor Licensees on Smart Serve Recertification Requirements, Information Bulletin: Mandatory Smart Serve® Recertification Will Begin July 1, 2022 and Responsible Liquor Sale, Service and Delivery Training web page
Note: Be sure to familiarize yourself with applicable sections of the Liquor Licence and Control Act, 2019, Regulation 746/21 (Licensing) and the Registrar’s Interim Standards and Requirements for Liquor to ensure you are in compliance.