In line with our commitment to and protecting Ontarians, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has published an updated version of the Registrar’s Standards for Gaming. These updated standards are effective immediately and apply to the OLG, land-based gaming operators and charitable gaming centres.
Following recent engagement with the industry, the AGCO has enhanced responsible gambling requirements to restrict the marketing and advertising of inducements for sport and event betting products.
Please see below for detailed information on the updates to the Standards.
Overview of Changes to the Gaming Standards
There are three sections that have been updated:
- Standards restricting the advertising of inducements for sport and event betting
- The updated standards prohibit the public advertising of inducements, bonuses and credits for sport and event betting products, except on a casino operator’s website, electronic channel, and at all venues that are owned and operated by the operator.
- Casino operators can also advertise inducements for sport and event betting through direct messaging after they receive active player consent.
- Additionally, casino operators must ensure that their advertisements are not marketed as free or risk-free unless they are so.
- These standards build on existing casino gaming standards that currently help regulate general advertising and promotional activity.
- Removed requirement to develop and submit pandemic re-opening plans.
In line with the government’s pandemic response, Standard 1.2.1 (requiring the submission of Self-assessment of Pandemic Compliance and Reopening plans) has been removed.
- Removed internet gaming section and references to internet gaming (igaming)
These standards are being removed as the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming took effect April 4th and apply to all igaming operators, including OLG.
We are fully committed to ensuring the industries and sectors we regulate operate responsibly for the benefit of all Ontarians.
If you require more information, contact our customer service at AGCO Customer Service anytime via the iAGCO online portal, or by phone at 416-326-8700 or 1-800-522-2876, Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm.