Section 2: “Sale” vs. “No-Sale” of Liquor

Last Updated: 

Each type of permit (except auctions), may be a “sale” or “no-Sale” permit depending on how liquor will be served at the event.

Please see the Tailgate Guide for more information on authorized actions under no-sale and sale tailgate permits.

A no-sale permit allows for the service and/or consumption of liquor at an event. Individuals cannot directly or indirectly be charged for the cost of liquor.

  • A “No-Sale” permit is required when:

    • liquor is served without charge;

    • no money and/or other forms of payment is collected directly or indirectly for liquor from guests (e.g. through admission charge or ticket sales); and

    • the permit holder absorbs all liquor costs.

A sale permit allows for the sale, service and consumption of liquor at an event.  

  • A “sale permit” is required for events where money is collected for liquor through, for example:

    • an admission charge to the event;

    • the sale of liquor (cash bar) or liquor tickets sold to people attending the event; or

    • the collection of money and/or other forms of payments for liquor before the event.

Please note, there is no requirement to sell or serve food under a Special Occasion Permit. However, it is the permit holder’s responsibility to ensure they do not permit intoxication on the premises.