14.01.01 Racing Associations shall take every reasonable precaution to make their premises safe for the protection of the persons and property of patrons and licensees.
14.01.02 Each Association shall police its grounds at all times in such a manner as to prevent the admission of any person in and around the stables excepting those having valid business or duly licensed by the Commission.
14.02.01 Only properly Commission licensed participants shall be mounted on a horse or pony on the Association grounds, and such participant is required to wear properly affixed and secured helmets and safety vests, as prescribed by Rule 14.02.02. The licensee is responsible for ensuring that his/her helmet and safety vest meets the safety standards. (Effective January 1, 2013)
14.02.02 Where it is required under the Rules, only helmets meeting the following standards shall be used:
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM 1163);
- UK Standards (EN-1384 and PAS-015); or,
- Australian/New Zealand Standard (AS/NZ 3838).
Where it is required under the Rules, only safety vests meeting the following standards shall be used:
- British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA:2000 Level 1);
- Euro Norm (EN 13158:2000 Level 1);
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM F2681-08);
- Shoe and Allied Trade Research Association (SATRA Jockey Vest Document M6 Issue 3); or,
- Australian Racing Board (ARB Standard 1.1998).
(Effective January 1, 2013).
14.03 Each Association shall have in attendance at each race track at which horses are being raced or exercised person-ambulance(s) and horse-ambulance(s), staffed with qualified personnel to render first aid and transport injured persons or horses to the closest place available for medical or veterinary treatment, as the case may be; such ambulances shall be placed at an entrance to the racing-strip.
14.04 Associations shall not post or enforce track rules which are in conflict with any provision contained in the Rules. Track rules shall be posted in either the paddock and/or offices of the race secretary. The Stewards may impose a monetary penalty or suspension, or both, for a violation of any of the track rules specifically adopted by the Stewards.
14.05 Smoking is prohibited within 10 feet of any designated signed areas, stall, tack room, shedrow or any portion of a barn including the paddock. For the purpose of this rule, the paddock will include the cafeteria, jockeys’ change room, washrooms and offices within the paddock area. Smoking is also prohibited anywhere on the racetrack surface at any time.
Penalty for an infraction of Rule 14.05:
- First violation will result in a $50 monetary penalty;
- Second violation within a year of the first violation will result in a $300 monetary penalty or a 5 day suspension or both;
- Third violation within a year of the first violation will result in a minimum monetary penalty of $500 and a 7 day suspension;
- Fourth violation within a year of the first violation will result in a suspension and referral to the Registrar.