Any individual or business actively involved in horse racing must be licensed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) in order to participate in racing in the province. This includes owners of race horses, trainers, drivers and jockeys, grooms, anyone requiring access to the backstretch or paddock of the racetrack, pari-mutuel clerks and management staff of the racetrack. The business that operates the racetrack must also be licensed and must apply to license any off-track sites, otherwise known as teletheatres.

All AGCO horse racing licences are issued on an annual basis.

Horse racing licences are issued through the office of the Registrar of Alcohol, Gaming and Racing. In assessing the suitability for licensing, issues of honesty and integrity are considered.

Licensing Process

Individuals can obtain a licence through one of the following methods:

In person

  • Visit an operating AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office and complete an application with an AGCO Horse Racing Licensing Agent.

 By Mail

  • Download the applicable licensing form(s)
  • Mail the completed application form(s) to the AGCO Head Office, accompanied by the appropriate licensing fee to:

Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario   

90 Sheppard Avenue E, Suite 200                                                                                        

Toronto ON, M2N 3A1                                                                                                          

Attn: Licensing & Registration – Horse Racing

By Fax or Email

  • Download the applicable licensing form(s)
  • Fax the completed application form(s) to the AGCO Head Office at 416-326-5555 Attn: “Horse Racing” OR
  • Scan and email the completed application form(s) to the AGCO Head Office at: customer.service@agco.ca
  • Fees can be paid by Visa or Mastercard over the phone with AGCO Head Office at 416-326-0863.

Horse Racing Licence Card

AGCO horse racing licences are used as verification of identification and licence status at Ontario racetracks. They are also used, by applicable licensees, to gain access to the secure areas of racetrack facilities. AGCO Horse Racing Licence Cards require a photo of the licensee to be taken and are only issued to licensees in person. You can have your photo taken and AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card issued at an AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office.

AGCO Racetrack Licensing Offices are located at every racetrack across the province and are open on race days. Please check the hours of operation of the AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office to confirm availability of Horse Racing Licensing Agents.  Horse racing licences can also be obtained at AGCO Head Office, located in Toronto; please call ahead to set up an appointment.

Whenever a licensee is in the backstretch or stable areas of the racetrack association or needs to gain access to the paddock when their horse is racing, the licensee must carry their valid and current AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card on their person. A licensee is required to produce their AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card upon request by an authorized representative of the racetrack association, a Racing Official or a representative or member of the AGCO.

A “guest” of a licensee is allowed in the backstretch, stable or paddock area when accompanied by a licensee, once the guest has been signed in with racetrack association security and approved.

If an AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card is lost, a replacement can be applied for at an AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office. Fees for a replacement card will apply.

What should I bring with me to complete the licence application process?

  • Personal details and information to complete the application form(s), including birthdate, address and emergency contact information.
  • Picture Identification (e.g. Ontario Drivers Licence).
  • Certain categories of licence may require the submission of additional documentation or certification (see Quarter Horse - Individual Licensing for more information).

Licensing fees

A new licensee can expect to undergo a due diligence investigation to determine their suitability for licensing.  The total fee amounts for a licence will vary depending upon the category(s) being applied for. For more information on Quarter Horse licensing fees see: Quarter Horse - Licensing Fees Schedule.


Licences issued to individuals participating in Quarter Horse racing in Ontario expire, and should be renewed annually.. Quarter Horse licences issued in 2018 will expire on March 1, 2019 or on March 31, 2019 for Owners and their related licences. A person wishing to renew their licence can take a completed application form to any operating Racetrack Licensing Office for processing. A licensee can obtain an application form at any operating Racetrack Licensing Office, or download the form from our website. Licensees are reminded it is their responsibility to have their licence renewed.


As per Info Bulletin No. 67 released on February 19, 2019, the expiration date of 2019 Quarter Horse licences will be extended to expire on the applicant’s birthdate in 2020. This is a one-time extension; from thereon in, licences will revert back to expiring on an annual basis. For more information, please refer to the Info Bulletin or the Quarter Horse Licensing Fees page.

Change of Address

A licensee must provide written notification of any change in permanent address within five (5) days of any change.

Claiming Certificate

To claim a Quarter Horse racehorse in Ontario, an individual must be an active licensee, meaning they hold a valid and current AGCO owner licence and have started a racehorse during the current racing season. An individual not meeting these requirements should apply for an Initial Claim Permit.

An Initial Claim Permit can be used at any time during the Quarter Horse racing season, except for the first and last 30 days of the meet. An individual should apply for the Initial Claim at the AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office by completing an individual application form and submitting the fees for the Initial Claim. Approval of the Initial Claim Permit and owners licence application will be held pending a due diligence investigation of the applicant. An Initial Claim Permit allows an individual to claim one horse. For additional information, please refer to Rule 12.29 of the Rules of Thoroughbred Racing.

Lessors and Lessees

When a horse is programmed to race under a Lessee Owner, the owner of the horse, as well as the person or entity leasing the horse, must be licensed. Any individual leasing a horse for racing must be identified as the lessee on the horse’s registration papers.

Registration of Colours

In Quarter Horse racing, the colours worn by the jockey help the betting public identify the horses during the race. The colours, also known as silks, refer to the unique combination of colours on the jacket and cap worn by the jockey.

Each owner, or multiple ownership (stable name, corporation, partnership), is required to register their own unique set of colours with a Quarter Horse AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office and, once they are approved, have the jacket and cap made to be used by the jockey when their horse races. Colours are registered in the Colours Registry which currently holds over 3,000 sets of colours.

Colours can be renewed annually, or owners can choose to register their colours as lifetime colours.

Who can I contact if I have questions or require assistance?

Questions about licensing or requests for assistance can be directed to the AGCO Head Office horse racing licensing staff during office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)

Questions can also be directed to the AGCO Horse Racing Licensing Agents at operating racetracks during hours of operation.

Definitions of Licensing Status

In Good Standing

  • There are no outstanding issues regarding the licensee.


  • The licence is no longer valid for a specific length of time. If the suspension is longer than the expiry date of the licence, the licensee must reapply to be licensed when the suspension is finished.


  • The licence is no longer valid and the individual cannot reapply to the AGCO for a licence for 2 years from the date of revocation.


  • The application to become a licensee is not granted. The individual cannot reapply for a licence until 2 years from the date of refusal.

Note that a horse will be ineligible to race when:

  • An owner, stable or estate does not have a valid licence;
  • A temporary licence has expired; or
  • A reciprocal licensee has not supplied proof of a valid licence from a recognized racing jurisdiction.

Was this page useful?

Please help us improve the AGCO website by responding to this survey