To operate a racetrack facility in Ontario, a Racetrack Association must be licensed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). The renewal process is initiated by submission of an application for a licence to the Registrar of Alcohol, Gaming and Racing (Registrar).  Under the authority granted by the Horse Racing Licensing Act, 2015, the Registrar will make a licensing decision and may then issue a Racetrack Association licence with terms and conditions for the given calendar year.

Each year the Racetrack Association is required to submit and/or ensure that certain documents are on file with the AGCO.  A list of the material that must accompany the licence application can be found in the following document: “Renewal Racetrack Licensing - Required Documents”.

Changes in Ownership

A Racetrack Association is required to declare all ownership interests in the racetrack and provide any changes to this information to the AGCO.  All ownership entities must be declared and any person or entity owning 5% or more are subject to a due diligence investigation to determine suitability for licensing.  Any potential change in ownership must be submitted to the AGCO in advance of the change occurring.  Notification is to be provided in writing, accompanied by completed Personal History Reports (for individuals) and/or Corporate Disclosure Forms (for Corporations or other types of registered businesses).

Help us improve the AGCO website

Complete a short survey