In order to work in a casino you may first have to be registered with the AGCO.

Specifically, if you exercise any of the following responsibilities as part of your regular work duties, you will require registration:

  • Facilitate game play or deliver gaming (e.g. oversee games, explain game rules, handle or pay out cash, etc.)
  • Access, repair or modify gaming-related equipment or systems (e.g. to effect repairs or inspect or test equipment)
  • Monitor, handle or protect gaming-related assets or money (e.g. count cash, oversee reconciliations, etc.)
  • Work primarily in a sensitive area of the gaming site (e.g. surveillance)
  • Control or supervise access to the property or sensitive areas (e.g. security)
  • Access gaming floor as part of regular work duties
  • Establish the policy or strategic direction of the organization or gaming site

Classes of Registration

There are two classes of registration for gaming assistants under the Gaming Control Act, 1992. If you exercise a significant level of decision-making authority or significant supervisory or training responsibilities, then you must be registered as a Category 1 Gaming Assistant. All others will be registered as a Category 2 Gaming Assistant.

Individuals who supervise or manage game play or other registered gaming assistants; oversee or coordinate lottery product sales; act as a Director/Department Head (or above); manage compliance issues; or have signing authority to make purchases, enter into contracts or offer employment will most likely need to be registered as a Category 1 Gaming Assistant.

Category 1 Gaming Assistants would include, but are not limited to: table game managers, slot managers, food and beverage supervisors, cage and coin supervisors, security and surveillance managers and supervisors, casino executives, bingo hall managers and lottery retailer managers.

Category 2 Gaming Assistants would include, but are not limited to: dealers, croupiers, cashiers, bingo callers, slot technicians and attendants, and security guards.

If you are unsure whether to apply as a Category 1 or Category 2 Gaming Assistant, please contact AGCO’s Customer Service Department at 416-326-8700 (GTA) or 1 800 522-2876 (toll free in Ontario), or inquire with your employer.

Registration Fees

The registration fees for Category 1 Gaming Assistants are $300 per year. The registration fees for Category 2 Gaming Assistants are $165 per year.

For a copy of the gaming registration fee schedule, please visit our Casino Gaming Fees page.

Offer of Employment

Anyone seeking employment at a casino must have a conditional offer of employment from the casino operator or the OLG before his or her application for registration will be considered by the AGCO. For further information, please contact the Human Resources office of your prospective employer.

Transfer to New Employer

Gaming Assistants may transfer from one gaming site to another. Transfer requests are made by completing the relevant section in the application form and submitting the request to the Registrar of Alcohol, Gaming and Racing within 30 days of the employee’s last date of employment. An offer of employment from the operator of the new gaming site must accompany the transfer request.

Termination of Registration

An operator of a casino is required to inform the Registrar in writing, within 5 days, of employees whose employment has been terminated and the effective date of termination. Upon termination of registration, the employee is required to surrender his/her AGCO photo identification card.

Application Process

All gaming registration applications must be completed online through the iAGCO portal. To apply for or renew your registration as a Gaming Assistant, please visit the portal, create an account and follow the steps as directed.

Help us improve the AGCO website

Complete a short survey