Eligibility – Gaming Assistants
Relevant Standard(s): 3.2
Application: All Sectors
- Is an employee at one gaming site restricted from play at another gaming site?
- How would the merger of Delta Bingo and Boardwalk Gaming affect eligibility for employees at either location?
- How does this Standard apply to registered vs. unregistered employees?
According to Standard 3.2 and the regulation on which it’s based (O. Reg. 78/12), any registered gaming assistant is prohibited from playing at a site that is operated by his or her employer.
This means that if two operators merged, registered gaming assistants employed by either operator would be prohibited from playing at any location operated by the new entity, as those locations would now be operated by their employer.
Finally, unregistered employees of an operator are not prohibited from playing lottery schemes at a location operated by their employer under this regulation. However, as noted in Requirement 1k of Standard 3.2, employees of registered suppliers who maintain or repair gaming equipment at the site are prohibited from playing at that site, even though they themselves are not registered.
Relevant Standard Excerpt(s):
3.2 Only eligible individuals are permitted to play a lottery scheme.
Requirements – At a minimum:
- The following individuals shall not be permitted to play lottery schemes:
- Registered gaming assistants of an Operator or OLG employed at any gaming site operated by the Operator or OLG;
This interpretation is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The interpretation relates to a specific set of circumstances and the standards, laws and regulations in force at the time the interpretation was issued; however, it is not an exhaustive or definitive interpretation of the standard(s) referenced herein.
The AGCO has established the Standards Interpretation Protocol, which acts as a single point of contact for inquiries from the gaming industry related to the interpretation of the Standards. For more information, please contact the AGCO’s Customer Service Department at 416 326-8700 (in the GTA) or 1 800 522-2876 (toll free in Ontario).