Accumulator Mechanism Percentage Disclosure
Relevant Definition: 10.1.1.a.
Do the specific, variable payout percentages expected from accumulator events in metamorphic games (described in ‘Background’ section below,) need to be provided to players, or, is it within the intent of the Standards to simply provide players with information stating that the game contains features (e.g. bonuses) triggered by the cumulative result of plays, and therefore the payback from these features may not be realized until required events have accumulated as described in the rules?
The intent of Standard 10.1.1.a is to ensure that players are provided with clear and accurate information regarding theoretical payout percentages. For games that have variable contributions that affect the overall theoretical payout percentages, the variable contribution of the awards must be clearly disclosed.
Relevant Standard Excerpt:
10.1 The player shall be provided with accurate information to enable the player to make informed choices.
Requirements – At a minimum:
- For each game, the theoretical payout shall be provided:
- For games that include progressive awards, limited time awards, metamorphic elements or game-within-a-game awards, the variable contribution of such awards to the theoretical payout percentage shall be clearly disclosed;
- For games which have different theoretical payout percentages for different betting options, the lowest theoretical payout percentage of all betting options shall be disclosed, as a minimum;
- For games that have skill and/or strategy components, the theoretical payout percentage shall be calculated using a disclosed, generally known and/or publicly available strategy. If there is no such standard/published strategy, the theoretical payout percentage shall be calculated using a blind strategy (random choice).
- Games with elements of skill or strategy shall either disclose the optimal strategy or provide other information to the player that is sufficient to derive the optimal strategy.
- For any top award that has a probability of less than 1 in 17 million to win, the probability shall be disclosed to the player.
- For any other award that has a probability of less than 1 in 34 million to win, the probability shall be disclosed to the player.
Additional Relevant Standard Excerpt :
2.4 Patrons shall be provided with meaningful and accurate information to enable them to make informed choices.
Requirements – At a minimum:
- Meaningful and accurate information on the rules of play shall be clearly stated and made available to patrons.
- Meaningful and accurate information on the odds of winning, payout odds or returns to patrons shall be clearly stated and made available to patrons.
- For games that include progressive awards, Operators shall provide notice to patrons of the disposition of accumulated progressive prizes prior to a progressive game being converted or removed.
This interpretation is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The interpretation relates to a specific set of circumstances and the standards, laws and regulations in force at the time the interpretation was issued; however, it is not an exhaustive or definitive interpretation of the standard(s) referenced herein.
The AGCO has established the Standards Interpretation Protocol, which acts as a single point of contact for inquiries from the gaming industry related to the interpretation of the Standards. For more information, please contact the AGCO’s Customer Service Department at 416 326-8700 (in the GTA) or 1 800 522-2876 (toll free in Ontario).