Board of Directors and Chair
The Board of the AGCO (the Board) is created and assigned functions and responsibilities by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario Act, 2019. Appointments to the Board are the prerogative of the Premier and are administered through the Public Appointments Secretariat.
The Board is currently composed of a Chair and six Members, all of whom are part-time appointees. The Chair provides leadership and guidance to the members of the Board. The Board is responsible for the overall stewardship and governance of the AGCO, which includes:
- Setting goals and developing policy and strategic direction for the AGCO to fulfill its mandate
- Overseeing the management of the AGCO’s financial affairs
- Approving the AGCO’s annual report and business plan, in accordance with the Agencies and Appointments Directive, 2018
- Overseeing the AGCO’s audit plan and reports
- Establishing fees and a schedule of monetary penalties, subject to Minister approval, in accordance with section 13 and 14 of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario Act, 2019.
- Overseeing and appointing members of the Horse Racing Appeal Panel, in accordance with section 7 of the Horse Racing Licence Act, 2015
As a whole, the Board brings a broad range of experience, skills and qualifications related to business, finance, corporate governance, regulation, adjudication and law, which allow it to effectively oversee the Agency.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The CEO, under the direction of the Board, provides leadership and direction to the staff of the AGCO. The Executive Office shapes the values, principles and major operating policies of the AGCO, provides strategic direction and leadership to the various operating Branches of the AGCO, and ensures the AGCO fulfills its regulatory mandate in an effective and efficient manner. Advice is provided to the Board, and the annual Business Plan for the AGCO is prepared and presented to the AGCO Board for consideration and approval.
Horse Racing Appeal Panel (HRAP)
The Horse Racing Appeal Panel (HRAP) is an independent adjudicative body mandated to hear appeals of decisions made under the Rules of Racing. It was established on April 1, 2016 under the Horse Racing Licence Act, 2015. Members are appointed to the Panel by the Board of the AGCO.