Player Protections in the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming
When you choose to bet online in Ontario, playing on regulated sites means operators are required to establish safeguards protecting your identity and financial information. Playing on an unregulated site means the business is not regulated in Ontario and is not operating under the AGCO’s Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming. Regulated internet gaming operators and suppliers are responsible for ensuring the outcomes below are achieved (as outlined in the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming).
- Players and the public will be protected from seeing products in a way that is misleading, exploits inexperience or is designed to appeal to minors
- Gaming sites are prohibited from making false advertising statements on their site
- Responsible gambling controls are available to help you stick to your financial and time-based spending limits
- Players who may be experiencing harms from gaming can easily get connected with helpful resources
- Only eligible players can create an account and play on a regulated site
- You can access a history of your deposits and transactions to support disputes
- You can know your chances of winning, how the game is played, and prizes and payouts before playing
Why Play on a Regulated Site?
Playing on a regulated site is the safer choice. Playing on a regulated site means operators must require that:
- Requirements are in place to enhance gaming integrity
- Fair play and transparency for all games are ensured
- Timely and accurate pay out of your winnings
- Personal information and data are secure
- Easy access to responsible gaming resources to keep gambling fun
- Records of your transactions and game play are saved in case you ever need them to resolve a dispute
- Complaints, disputes and inquiries will be handled in a timely, fair, transparent and appropriate manner.
Risks of Playing on Unregulated Sites
If you don’t play on a regulated site in Ontario, there are many risks to be aware of.
- Payouts may not be timely or accurate
Your payouts could be withheld or delayed and your deposits may not be securely stored
- Your personal information and data may not be secure
Data could be exposed to third-parties or the public without your consent
- There’s an increased risk of harmful gambling habits
Unregulated gaming sites are not required to provide tools and supports for safer gambling habits
*Disclaimer: This information does not revise or the replace the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming (the Standards).