INTRODUCTION AND HOW TO USE THIS GUIDE
As part of its commitment to modernize the rules for the retail sale and consumption of liquor in Ontario, the provincial government introduced the Liquor Licence and Control Act, 2019 (LLCA), which came into effect on November 29, 2021.
In support of this new legislative framework for the liquor sector, regulations have been developed and are available at Ontario.ca/laws.
The LLCA provides more flexibility for stakeholders. Under the LLCA, some regulatory functions have been transferred from the LCBO to the AGCO. In time, the LLCA will provide the opportunity to transition the liquor sector to risk-based, outcomes-based, and compliance-focused regulation.
How to Use this Guide
This Guide is designed to provide you with information on these changes and explain what they mean for you.
If you are new to using this guide, follow the steps below or simply choose a section heading from the Table of Contents on the left.
- Use the search box (on the left side of your screen) by entering key words like “training” or “fees”
- Click on the headings under the Table of Contents (on the left-hand side of your screen) to browse what’s in each section
- Use the links at the bottom of each page to move to the next/previous page in this section or to produce a printer-friendly version of this page
- Look for links on each page to legislation, websites and other helpful resources that provide more information
Looking for something else? Here are some quick links to other sections of this Guide that may be helpful:
- Chapter 1 — where you will find information on LLCA regulations and what’s changing by licence type
- Chapter 2 — where you will learn about the features and requirements under the LLCA Framework
- Chapter 3 — where you will find information on using iAGCO
- Chapter 4 — where you will find links to helpful resources
If you find that this guide is not what you are looking for, please use the top menu or search box to find other sections of the AGCO website.
Note: This guide is not an exhaustive examination of the changes to the liquor framework. Please refer to the Act, regulations and Interim Registrar’s Standards to ensure compliance with your obligations as a licence or permit holder.