Lottery-related registrants are subject to all of the requirements of the Gaming Control Act, 1992 (GCA) and its regulation, and other standards and requirements established by the Registrar such as investigation by the Registrar concerning the character, integrity and financial competence of registrants/applicants and interested persons, the ability of the Registrar to propose suspensions and revocations of registrations, and inspections and investigations by the AGCO to ensure regulatory compliance.
In addition to the regulatory requirements outlined in the GCA, Sellers of OLG lottery products are required to comply with the Registrar’s Standards for Goods and Services - Lottery Retailer and Lottery Retailer Manager.
Sellers who also sell break open tickets are required to comply with the Standards for Suppliers of Goods and Services (Break Open Tickets).
- Registrar’s Standards for Gaming: Lottery Sector (effective Jun 30, 2017)
- Standards for Suppliers of Goods and Services (Break Open Tickets)
- List of Approved BOT Manufacturers
As of June 1, 2012, new rules came into effect related to the sale of OLG lottery products. These rules are intended to enhance the public’s confidence in the integrity of gaming and ensure that gaming in Ontario is provided responsibly and in a manner that does not target vulnerable individuals.
Specifically, lottery tickets cannot be sold to persons the Seller believes fall under the following categories:
- Individuals who appear to be intoxicated
- Officers, directors or partners of the Seller
- Registered Category 1 Gaming Assistants employed at the gaming site / retail store where the Seller sells lottery tickets
- Executives or staff of a trade union who represent or negotiate on behalf of employees employed at the gaming site / retail store where the Seller sells lottery tickets
- Employees of registered suppliers who maintain or repair gaming equipment at the gaming site / retail store where the Seller sells lottery tickets
- AGCO employees or Board members
For more information regarding these selling restrictions, please refer to the following Lottery Line publication.