Last Updated: 

Each type of permit (except auctions), may be a “sale” or “no-Sale” permit depending on how liquor will be served at the event.

Please see the Tailgate Guide for more information on authorized actions under no-sale and sale tailgate permits.

A no-sale permit allows for the service and/or consumption of liquor at an event. Individuals cannot directly or indirectly be charged for the cost of liquor.

  • A “No-Sale” permit is required when:

    • liquor is served without charge;

    • no money and/or other forms of payment is collected directly or indirectly for liquor from guests (e.g. through admission charge or ticket sales); and

    • the permit holder absorbs all liquor costs.

A sale permit allows for the sale, service and consumption of liquor at an event.  

  • A “sale permit” is required for events where money is collected for liquor through, for example:

    • an admission charge to the event;

    • the sale of liquor (cash bar) or liquor tickets sold to people attending the event; or

    • the collection of money and/or other forms of payments for liquor before the event.

Please note, there is no requirement to sell or serve food under a Special Occasion Permit. However, it is the permit holder’s responsibility to ensure they do not permit intoxication on the premises.

Was this page useful?

Please help us improve the AGCO website by responding to this survey