Racetracks and Teletheatres
Racetracks and Teletheatres must be licensed by the AGCO. This includes Fair or Non-Extended Meet, Operator – Pari-Mutuel Operations, Racetrack Operator and Racetrack Site licence holders and Special Event Teletheatre and Teletheatre Location registration holders.
Effective March 2, 2020 all transactions with the AGCO must be completed online through iAGCO. Paper applications are no longer accepted for horse racing-related licenses and registrations. For more information, visit the iAGCO Information page.
For more information on the information required to submit your application, please see the Horse Racing Licence Guide: Racetracks and Teletheatres
When using online services, all payments under $30,000 must be made by Interac Online, Visa, MasterCard, Visa Debit, MasterCard Debit or pre-paid Visa or MasterCard.
Payments of $30,000 or more must be made by money wire transfer or electronic funds transfer. Please note that cheques and cash (including USD) are not accepted.
All fees must be submitted at time of application and are non-refundable.
For more information on Racetrack and Teletheatre licensing fees, see the Horse Racing Licensing Fees page.
A Regulatory Submission must be made online through the iAGCO portal to report a Minor Racing Official List.
For more information on how to make a regulatory submission, please see Section 5 of the Horse Racing Licence Guide: Racetracks and Teletheatres
Who Needs to be Licensed?
- A Racetrack Operator must submit an application for a Racetrack Operator Licence to operate a racetrack site in Ontario. The applicant must also apply for a Racetrack Site Licence for each racetrack site they wish to operate
- A Racetrack Site must submit an application for a Racetrack Site Licence to operate a racetrack site in Ontario. The applicant must also hold a valid AGCO Racetrack Operator Licence.
- A Teletheatre Location must submit an application for a Teletheatre Location Registration to operate an off-track betting location in Ontario. This application must be completed by the operator of the premises where the Teletheatre will be located. Registration requires an agreement with an AGCO Licensed Racetrack Operator.
Special Event Teletheatre
- A Special Event Teletheatre Registration must be submitted to operate a location that will not be a permanent Teletheatre, such as a special event or fundraiser where off-track betting will be operated by a licensed Racetrack Operator. The applicant must also hold a valid AGCO Racetrack Operator Licence. The applicant must disclose individuals in the roles of Site Managers, Event Organizers, and Teletheatre Operations Manager.
Fair or Non-Extended Meet
- A Fair or Non-Extended Meet must submit an application for a Fair or Non-Extended Meet Licence to operate horse racing at a location where the total number of race dates is fewer than seven (7) days per week.
Operator – Pari-Mutuel Operations
- An Operator – Pari-Mutuel Operations must submit an application for an Operator – Pari-Mutuel Operations Licence to conduct pari-mutuel operations at a racetrack site where the applicant is not the holder of the Racetrack Site Licence.