Eligible Individuals: Employees of Registered Suppliers
Relevant Standard(s): 3.2
What is the scope of Standard 3.2.1(k)?
The intent of Standard 3.2.1(K) of the Registrar’s Standards is to ensure the integrity of gaming in Ontario. In this regard, Standard 3.2.1(K) only extends to the actual gaming sites for which an employee maintains or repairs gaming equipment. Additionally, the prohibition applies to an employee regardless of whether he/she is registered or not, and regardless of whether he/she maintains or repairs gaming equipment on-site or remotely.
Below are a few examples to illustrate how this Standard applies.
If the supplier maintains or repairs gaming equipment at all charitable gaming sites conducted and managed by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, employees would be prohibited from gaming as follows:
- If Employee A maintains or repairs gaming equipment at sites in the northwest region; Employee A is only prohibited from gaming at sites in the northwest region;
- If Employee B remotely maintains or repairs gaming equipment used at all sites; Employee B is prohibited from gaming at all sites;
- If Employee C maintains or repairs gaming equipment at all sites in the southeast region, but also substitutes / covers for Employee A when he / she is sick or on holidays; Employee C is prohibited from gaming at all sites in the southeast and northwest region.
Given the intent of Standard 3.2.1(K), we expect timely, accurate and auditable controls to be in place.
Relevant Standard Excerpt(s):
3.2 Only eligible individuals are permitted to play a lottery scheme.
Requirements – At a minimum:
- The following individuals shall not be permitted to play lottery schemes
- An individual under 19 years of age where the gaming site is a Casino
- An individual under 19 years of age where the gaming site is an iGaming site, except where the individual is at least 18 years of age and is accessing the gaming site solely for the purpose of purchasing a lottery ticket;
- An individual under 18 years of age where the gaming site is a cGaming site;
- Individuals who appear to be intoxicated if the site is a physical premises;
- Every individual who advises the Operator or OLG that the individual is participating in a self-exclusion process established by OLG that applies to the site;
- An individual who is known by the Operator to have been restricted from accessing the gaming site or playing a lottery scheme as a condition of a court order;
- Individuals who the Operator or OLG have reason to believe have been excluded from the site under subsection 3.6(1) of the GCA;
- Officers, members of the board of directors or partners of the Operator;
- Registered gaming assistants of an Operator or OLG employed at any gaming site operated by the Operator or OLG;
- Executives or staff of a trade union who represent or negotiate on behalf of employees employed at the site;
- Employees of registered suppliers who maintain or repair gaming equipment at the site;
- Members or employees of the AGCO;
- Officers, members of the board of directors, or employees of OLG, unless they are within the description set out in subsection 22(6) of Ontario Regulation 78/12 (ie. they are registered as category 2 gaming assistants or otherwise not required to be registered by the AGCO).
- Individuals described in paragraphs 1. a. to c. and e. to m. shall not be permitted to win prizes in accordance with the policy on prize payment.
Note: This Standard does not preclude the AGCO from participating in games for regulatory assurance purposes.
This interpretation is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The interpretation relates to a specific set of circumstances and the standards, laws and regulations in force at the time the interpretation was issued; however, it is not an exhaustive or definitive interpretation of the standard(s) referenced herein.
The AGCO has established the Standards Interpretation Protocol, which acts as a single point of contact for inquiries from the gaming industry related to the interpretation of the Standards. For more information, please contact the AGCO’s Customer Service Department at 416 326-8700 (in the GTA) or 1 800 522-2876 (toll free in Ontario).