Qualified Medical Professional means a medical professional able to diagnose a concussion.
Qualified Person means an individual who has successfully completed the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 5th Edition (SCAT5) training or equivalent on identifying signs and symptoms of concussion.
Fit for Duty means that the licensee is medically cleared to meet all of his or her obligations pursuant to the Rules of Racing and may include conditions or limitations as directed by a Qualified Medical Professional.
- Associations shall have a Qualified Person present at the racetrack whenever jockeys or exercise riders are racing or exercising horses.
- Where a Steward becomes aware that a jockey or exercise rider may have suffered a concussion, the Steward shall refer the jockey or exercise rider to the Qualified Person and the jockey or exercise rider must immediately report to the Qualified Person.
- The Qualified Person will make an initial assessment and determine whether or not the jockey or exercise rider must be referred to a Qualified Medical Professional for diagnosis and notify the Steward of his or her determination.
- Where a referral is made to a Qualified Medical Professional, the Steward will issue a ruling that the jockey or exercise rider is suspended from engaging in his or her obligations under the Rules of Racing until such time as he or she provides a note from a Qualified Medical Professional that he or she is Fit for Duty, and a subsequent ruling is issued to reinstate his or her licence.
- Anyone required to obtain a Fit for Duty note from a Qualified Medical Professional is required, prior to receiving the note, to explain the full scope of his or her requirements under the Rules of Racing to the Qualified Medical Professional.
- Neither the ruling suspending the jockey or exercise rider, nor the ruling reinstating the jockey or exercise rider, is appealable to the HRAP.
- Any licensee with knowledge of a jockey or exercise rider having suffered an incident while exercising or racing a horse at the racetrack shall promptly report this to the Stewards.