This chapter provides a summary of your cannabis retail requirements under the relevant provincial legislation, including the Cannabis Control Act and the Cannabis Licence Act and the regulations. This is meant to be a guide. It is not a complete list of all rules and is not legal advice. In addition, you may be subject to federal requirements pursuant to the Cannabis Act.


To open a retail store and sell recreational cannabis, there are may be two licences and an authorization that are required from the AGCO. These are:

  • Retail Operator Licence
  • Retail Store Authorization
  • Cannabis Retail Manager Licence

All applicants must meet all of the eligibility criteria set out in the Cannabis Licence Act, 2018 and its regulations.

Sole proprietorships or partnerships between individuals may not require a retail manager licence. You should consider the duties performed by individuals to determine if they require a retail manager licence. Please note that the educational requirements must be met.

A cannabis retail store may not sell cannabis unless licensed and authorized by the AGCO, and the retailer must have a supply purchase contract with the Ontario Cannabis Retail Store (OCS). The retailer may only sell cannabis obtained through the OCS..


Help us improve the AGCO website

Complete a short survey